The ΛrtScience Manifesto
Integrative Collaboration to Create a Sustainable Future
Interdisciplinary, transdisciplinary, cross-disciplinary, intermedia, trans-media and multimedia are becoming ever more prominent within the sciences, technology and the arts. These new ways of conceiving knowledge and its products create opportunities and confusion about objectives. To stimulate discussion about where new arts and sciences should intersect, we propose an overarching synthesis we call “ArtScience”.
- Everything can be understood through art but that understanding is incomplete.
- Everything can be understood through science but that understanding is incomplete.
- ArtScience enables us to achieve a more complete and universal understanding of things.
- ArtScience involves understanding the human experience of nature through the synthesis of artistic and scientific modes of exploration and expression.
- ArtScience melds subjective, sensory, emotional and personal understanding with objective, analytical, rational, public understanding.
- ArtScience is not embodied in its products so much as it is expressed through the convergence of artistic and scientific processes and skills.
- ArtScience is not Art + Science or Art-and-Science or Art/Science, in which the components retain their disciplinary distinctions and compartmentalization.
- ArtScience transcends and integrates all disciplines or forms of knowledge.
- One who practices ArtScience is both an artist and a scientist simultaneously and one who produces things that are both artistic and scientific simultaneously.
- Every major artistic advance, technological breakthrough, scientific discovery and medical innovation since the beginning of civilization has resulted from the process of ArtScience.
- Every major inventor and innovator in history was an ArtScience practitioner.
- We must teach art, science, technology, engineering and mathematics as integrated disciplines, not separately.
- We must create curricula based in the history, philosophy and practice of ArtScience, using best practices in experiential learning.
- The vision of ArtScience is the re-humanization of all knowledge.
- The mission of ArtScience is the re-integration of all knowledge.
- The goal of ArtScience is to cultivate a New Renaissance.
- The objective of ArtScience is to inspire open-mindedness, curiosity, creativity, imagination, critical thinking and problem-solving through innovation and collaboration!
In summation, ArtScience Connects. The future of humanity and civil society depends on these connections. ArtScience is a new understanding and expression of culture as a technology that has both intuitively and deliberately been going on since the dawn of recorded thought. Here we recreate anew and explore culture, society and human experience in a synaesthetic experience with analytical exploration. It is knowing, analysing, experiencing and feeling, simultaneously.